“Craft Brewing in Practice” is a ten-day full time training course
providing up-to-date knowledge in the field of pub- and micro brewing. It covers the basics of beer brewing in theory and practice. The lectures will cover topics like raw materials (water, malt, hops, and yeast) the brewing process, yeast management, fermentation, hygiene, sensory evaluation, basics of quality control as well as economic and legal aspects for starting a pub brewery.
In addition, one day of practical work in a Berlin pub brewery is on the agenda. The language is English. You can expect an intensive and individual training with maximum benefit. Starting with practical brewing on the first day, the participants will accompany their own brew up to the final product in practical quality control.
The following topics will be covered:
- Basics of brewing technology
- Water and water treatment
- Malt – quality aspects
- Application of special malts
- Hops & hop products
- Yeast management in micro breweries
- Cleaning and disinfection
- Brewhouse work
- Fermentation & maturation
- Basics of tasting: main off-flavours
- Establishing a pub brewery – technical equipment, concepts and plant design
- Special beers: types & production
- Quality assurance for pub brewers – theory and practice
- Basic aspects for catering trade concepts
- Steam generation
- Basics of filling
- Different aspects of stability
- Practical Work in pub-brewery
Who should attend
The course addresses persons who have a professional interest in pub brewing. We strongly recommend some basic experience in brewing, e.g. as home brewer.
The lectures will be held at VLB Berlin. Our institute is located in the heart of Berlin – the German capital. In addition to our training programme, Berlin is also a top-destination for sight-seeing and extra-curricular activities.
Attendance Fee & Accommodation
The fee for this ten-day course is 2,400 Euro plus VAT, including all course materials.
Your accommodation in Berlin has to be booked separately. Depending on your requirements we can arrange hotel accommodation in different categories.
A non-refundable deposit of 500 Euro is due at the time of acceptance to the programme. The total balance is due one week before the beginning of the course. The fee may be paid by bank transfer, credit card or check.
16 to 27 September 2019