Technology Brewing and Malting
4th International Edition – in English
April 2014: This edition is sould out. A revised 5th English Edition will be available from July/August 2014.
The book – in brewers’ circles well-known as just the “Kunze”– has accompanied countless brewers and maltsters on their way into and through the professional practice since its first edition in 1961. Meanwhile more than 30,000 German, about 13,000 English, 6000 Chinese, 3500 Russian and 1500 Spanish copies have been printed. It has also been translated into Polish, Serbian and Hungarian. The English Edition was last updated and revised in 2009 and contains 1100 pages with more than 850 figures.
- Raw materials: Barley, hops, water, yeast, adjuncts
- Malt production
- Wort production
- Beer production: Fermention, maturation, filtration, stabilisation
- Filling the beer: One-way/returnable glass bottles, PET, cans, kegs
- Cleaning and disinfection
- Finished beer: Ingredients, beer types, quality
- Small scale brewing
- Waste disposal and the environment
- Energy management in the brewery and malting
- Automation and plant planning
Wolfgang Kunze, born in 1926, is a qualified brewer and studied brewing engineering at the VLB Berlin. Today he works as a freelancer in Dresden for the Research and Teaching Institute for Brewing in Berlin (VLB). For 38 years he was a teacher and head of the Dresden Brewer’s School and introduced generations of brewers and maltsters to the art of beer brewing. His comprehensive knowledge and his didactic experience which he vividly conveys in his book have made “Technology Brewing and Malting” in more than 40 years to what it is today: a reference work – worldwide.
The new edition is availabe since May 2010.
Table of content (PDF)